One question I’m often asked is ‘how do I care for my handmade jewellery?’ Well, I’d like to share my top tips with you for keeping your jewellery in great condition. I use Sterling silver in my jewellery designs. One of the problems with Sterling silver is that it tarnishes (goes black) when exposed to the air. Below are my top tips for keeping your jewellery super shiny!
- Wear your jewellery regularly! The oils in your skin help to clean your jewellery.
- Avoid contact with chemicals and always remove before swimming and showering.
- When getting dressed, always put your jewellery on last of all. Perfume, cosmetics and hairspray all increase the risk of tarnishing.
- When not in use, store your jewellery in a zip lock plastic bag or other air tight container. I will be posting out these little bags with my online orders, they’re just the right size to pop in your jewellery box!
- If your jewellery does become tarnished, a quick gentle polish with a silver cleaning cloth will leave it looking sparkly and new again.
These silver cleaning cloths are now available to order from my Folksy shop
The two Sterling silver hammered pendants pictured above are available to order now from my Folksy shop, why not pop over and take a look!